Part I Listening Comprehension
1. D) Dr. Holden is the best person for the chairmanship.
2. A) They will keep in touch during the summer vacation.
3. B) Peaches are not at their best now.
4. C) They work on the assignment together.
5. A) She admires Jean’s straightforwardness.
6. A) He liked writing when he was a child.
7. D) He does not study hard enough.
8. C) It will be very difficult for them to find John.
9. A) Its rapid growth is beneficial to the world.
10. B) Most students can’t afford to live in the new apartments.
11. C) The need for greater cultural diversity in the school curriculum.
12. D) He believed the speaker was a foreigner.
13. A) The US population doesn’t consist of white European descendants only.
14. A) By making laws.
15. B) It should be raised quickly by hand.
16. D) It should be carried high up in the air.
17. C) There are precise regulations and customs to be followed.
18. C) Truancy.
19. D) Students with good attendance records.
20. B) Rewarding schools that have decreased the destruction.
Part II Reading Comprehension
21. D) To discourage people from insisting on having grandchildren.
22. B) draw attention to the troubles and difficulties grandchildren may cause.
23. A) they find it hard to resist the carrot-and-stick approach of their parents
24. A) her parents kept pressuring her to have a child.
25. C) It is troublesome but rewarding
26. D) People can fully enjoy individual freedom.
27. A) the more diligent one is, the bigger his returns.
28. C) became wealthy after starting life very poor.
29. B) Americans wish to succeed in every aspect of life.
30. D) What Americans strive after often contradicts their beliefs.
31. B) Quick economic returns
32. C) obtain funding from the government
33. A) They think they work in an environment hostile to the free pursuit of knowledge.
34. D) they could be influenced by their association with the project concerned.
35. B) People would not believe scientists even when they tell the truth.
36. D) the globalization of the economy
37. B) Information technology has removed the restrictions of time and space in business transactions.
38. C) it should not overlook the importance of information, services, support, and distribution.
39. A) can eliminate an entire business segment.
40. D) businesses have to meet individual customers’ specific needs in order to succeed.
Part III Vocabulary
41. C) absurd
42. B) designated
43. D) flushed
44. C) abolished
45. B) out of stock
46. C) luminous
47. A) comply
48. D) erase
49. C) scrutiny
50. A) ascribed
51. B) decent
52. C) finite
53. C) defy
54. A) suppress
55. D) rectify
56. C) irritated
57. D) handicap
58. B) impose
59. D) stimulus
60. D) cherish
61. B) vacant
62. A) tucked
63. B) obscure
64. A) by analogy with
65. D) culminated in
66. A) in relation to
67. C) ambiguous
68. D) abnormal
69. C) recession
70. B) drowned
Part IV Error Correction
1. in first > in the first
2. ultimate > ultimately
3. acceptance > rejection
4. end > ending
5. upon > for
6. will pick up > will not pick up
7. listing > list
8. Keep up > Keep
9. taking > taken
10. find > found